Central New York Welcome Center
Position: Visitor Engagement
Reports to: Welcome Center Manager
Summary: Provide visitors with a positive and enthusiastic first impression of Syracuse and Central New York as a destination. Greet visitors; respond to questions; maintain visitor information resources and retail merchandise; answer and direct inbound calls; administer visitor surveys; provide accurate information on the local; regional and state tourism product.
- Provide superior guest relations
- Respond to inquiries and the needs of walk-in visitors, telephone, and website requests
- Provide an enthusiastic, friendly, and knowledgeable voice when interacting with visitors
- Distribute informational materials such as brochures and maps and develop a strong knowledge of the kiosks that are part of the center.
- Respond daily to visitor email requests, letter requests, and voicemail messages
- Maintain extensive knowledge of the area
- Maintain a working knowledge of Central New York tourism inventory including accommodations, retail, restaurants, attractions, events, exhibits, seasonal venues, and related visitor services that are available (some training will be included)
- Add to the visitor experience by being acquainted with the daily/weekly calendar of events, tradeshows, and conventions information
- Create innovative ways to merchandise items in the Welcome Center to increase traffic
- Retail sales, cash register operation, and handling monetary transactions
- Maintain the orderliness and stock of supplies and literature as needed
- Assist with inventory, as well ordering and maintaining storage
- Other duties as assigned by the Welcome Center Manager
- Must be pleasant, hospitable, and able to provide excellent customer service at all times
Education and Experience:
- Two or four year college degree preferred
- Hospitality and tourism industry and/or retail experience preferred
Competencies and Skills:
- Strong initiative to learn and embrace the tourism and retail operations of the visitor center
- Ability to lift 35 pounds
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Professionalism when communicating with the public; excellent customer service skills; keen awareness of developments in the community
- Knowledge and passion of the greater Syracuse area, and its attractions, events, and activities
- Administrative skills include: telephone and email etiquette, organizational and time management skills, and the ability to multitask between several projects
- Technical skills include: very strong internet skills, proficiency in Microsoft Office, ability to learn new software, and basic computer troubleshooting skills
To apply send a resume to Allyson Towndrow at Atowndrow@visitsyracuse.com
All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
- This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
- The company reserves the right to add to or revise an employee’s job duties at any time at its sole discretion.
- This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.
Visit Syracuse is an Equal Opportunity Employer